Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A preface for today's double post- Please start here!

Oy. That seems to be my word for the day....
I'm posting two blog entries, one of which was originally supposed to be my "launch" post, but I got a little distracted! It's incomplete, but I think many of you can relate to that! In fact, anytime I post something without a 'proper' conclusion, just assume my toddler yanked me off my train of thought, and asserted his dibs on my attention.
Academically, professionally, the 'right' thing to do in those situations is to come back later and edit, polish, conclude with a pearl of wisdom, a bit of humor, or a call to action.
That's "real" writing, but that's not my life. I have a two year old, and ADD, and more things going on in my brain on any given day than I can ever hope to articulate, especially if I'm bound to 'the rules' of finishing work before it's published.
The blogging format is real-time, and interactive, and that's why it works for me. Time and competing demands for my attention- those are my limitations, and this is how I work around them:
You. The reader. If you like where I'm going with something, and you feel short-changed by that last dangling sentence or thought, speak up! Ask me about it, or propose your own conclusions! I'm a team player, just a little shy about actively recruiting, so ummm, yeah, join in whenever you like.

Today's menu has two courses, as I previously mentioned:
1. The missing introduction, also known as "Where I thought I was going with this blog when I started, which still may be where I end up, but hey, look- a squirrel!"
http://mydegreeofdifficulty.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-missing-introduction-interrupted.html

2. Long, meandering free-association self-evisceration, in print. As in, I start telling my story instead of 'just' condensing the lessons. It's unedited because it has to be- if I re-read it now I may never post it.
The length is interesting in and of itself, to me, as a portrait of my thought process, and how I confront my own resistance to speaking what feels unspeakable.
The tension between what I must say and what I cannot say...play by play.
http://mydegreeofdifficulty.blogspot.com/2013/03/triggers-land-mines-and-things-that.html
(**Trigger warning, for anyone with PTSD and/or issues regarding any form of abuse.)

No comments:

Post a Comment